Saturday, October 23, 2010

Wyatt: Birth Story

I received a phone call from Dr. Christiansen on Wednesday afternoon to see how I was doing. At this point I was 41 weeks, 1 week past my due date. I told him everything was fine, I was feeling good. He then proceeded to give me 2 options: 
1. Check into the hospital tonight, late tonight--like midnight, to get started and hopefully the baby would come within the following 24 hrs.
OR
2. Get one more night of good sleep and check in at the hospital early Thursday morning and then we could expect the baby to come sometime in the night.

We decided we probably wouldn't sleep much anyway because of the anticipation of the arrival of our long awaited little boy, we were going in tonight. Late tonight. Wednesday night. 12 a.m. Thursday morning.  



We did some last minute things around the house, Jeff went to the Timpview game while I showered and packed our things, we went to Brick Oven for dinner and basically tried to waste time until we received the phone call from the hospital to come down. 

We checked in at about 12:30, filled out and confirmed information with the nurse and off to the Labor room for what seemed like an eternity!! 22 Hrs of labor!!
I was started on Cytotec at about 2 a.m. when I arrived I was only 60% effaced and no dilation, not even a fingertip. By 4 a.m. I was having really strong contractions and I was feeling the pain. 
At 6 a.m. I was hooked up to the IV and started on Pitocin shortly after. The contractions were still really close and painful--no epidural yet--at 8 a.m. I was maybe dilated to a 1 now. UGH!  
The day continued...11 a.m. I had my epidural. As I rolled over my water broke. We hoped that this would speed up the process, but the day continued.  

My cute nurse Katherine! I loved her, and I was hoping we would have this baby by the time 6 p.m. rolled around so she could be there! She was so great!
All day everyone was so supportive! Sitting around to be there with me!


2 turned to 3p.m. 6 turned to 7.......

Then around 8:30 p.m. the Dr. came in and I was finally at a 9. He said in just about 45 minutes we would start pushing.  9:15 p.m. came and I started pushing.  Finally at 11:09, 2 hrs later our baby boy made it! He was so alert after he came I'll never forget how big his beautiful eyes were as they looked around that room. 

It might have been a really long night and day and night again, but I will never forget the amazing feeling I felt when I saw my baby for the first time and snuggled him close! He is so sweet and we are loving every minute of him!!


9 comments:

  1. Wow! Well, now you officially know that they don't call it "labor" for nothing! =) Good work Sarah! I loved all the pictures. I'm glad you are all doing well and that little Wyatt is healthy! Keep up the good work Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad everything went okay! What a babe he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so glad you posted this story because I was so sad that I didn't get to hear it tonight! I was just too captivated by little Wyatt. He is so adorable!!

    Danny says: "How did you get through this Jeff, it looks like it was really hard on you"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Love your pictures! and LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your baby is adorable! We are so excited for you. You are such a cute family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing story Sarah!
    He is so adorable!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE HIM!! he is sooooo cute! can't wait to meet the little one!! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Sar and Jeff! He is so handsome. I'm glad things went well and I hope you are enjoying these first precious weeks. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures of Wyatt that heather took are unbelievable! what a gorgeous kid!!! I want to give him loves and kisses again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker